LEAVING A GIFT OF SECURITIES
Our proper legal name for making a gift is THE CANADIAN MEDICAL HALL OF FAME
Charitable Registration #14003 6914 RR0001
Donating publicly traded stocks, bonds and other securities to the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame (CMHF) provides a tax-efficient way to support our mission. You can donate shares now, or as part of your estate through your Will.
- Typically, when you sell a publicly traded security, you are required to pay income tax on 50% of the capital gain (the difference between the amount you paid for the security and the proceeds from the sale). If you donate the security directly to a registered charity like CMHF, you eliminate the capital gains tax that would be payable if you sold the securities on the open market and then donated the proceeds. This may provide a greater benefit to you than donating cash.
- You will receive a charitable donation receipt for the value of the securities which will reduce taxes payable on your other sources of income.
How it works
- Consult your financial advisor to decide which investments will have the most financial and philanthropic impact.
- Then ask your broker to transfer your securities to the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame by completing the appropriate *Letter of Instruction - Transfer of Securities Form and return a copy to us. Contact Us for a sample form
- CMHF will issue a charitable donation receipt for the value of the donated securities on the day we receive the funds
Please Note: The information provided is general in nature and should not be considered as professional legal/financial planning advice. With all planned gifts, before making final decisions discuss your gift intentions with your family and seek independent professional advice to ensure your financial and philanthropic goals are considered, your tax situation reviewed and your planned gift is tailored to your personal circumstances.